127: Top 20 Countdown
Welcome to Innovation City—powered by Venture Cafe—where Tyler Kelley and Michael Johnson, Co-Founders of SLAM! Agency, interview innovators, creators, and disruptors to discover how business is changing in the modern world.
Created and produced by SLAM! Agency in cooperation with Venture Cafe St. Louis and Venture Cafe Miami, Innovation City gives you an inside look at how rapidly business and culture are changing thanks to increasing diversity and inclusion, heightened creativity, and a stronger and better-connected business community. Venture Cafe is the largest combined gathering of entrepreneurs and innovators anywhere in the world. Events are held every Thursday in St. Louis, Miami, and other leading innovation cities around the globe.
Today’s episode is the seventh of several highlight shows where we are taking a look back at our top 20 favorite interviews and conversations of all time. Today’s featured guest is Heather Monahan, founder of Boss in Heels. After successfully climbing the corporate ladder for 20 years, she devoted herself to helping women take control of their careers. She is a best-selling author of Confidence Creator, entrepreneur, and keynote speaker.
Some key points from Heather from Boss in Heels:
- The power of asking for help
- Confidence is learned, not given
- Learning from a mentor how to look at the bigger picture
- Firing the villains
- Learning lessons from her son writing on his basketball shoes
- Fear is a liar; take it down a few notches and lean in
- The importance of taking baby steps
- Build success stories, build wins, and record them so you don’t forget
- Eddie Murphy’s early Letterman interviews; going from very nervous to very confident
- Listen or watch Heather’s full episode here